Skip to main content

What a great Sunday

Today I attended Sunday morning worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church. This is the church my grandmother attended for many years and my mother attended the early years of my life. I have been looking for a new church home the last two months. I was attending a church of a family friends’ in East Point off and on for the last two years. I want to find a church I like and feel I want to join. Today I felt that feeling. I really enjoyed service there. I was like a breath of fresh air!

I must admit there are certain things I do not want in a church I attend. I don’t feel the need to be there all day. I like service to give me what I need in 1 to 2 hours. I have a short attention span and struggle after the two hour mark. I like a church of mixed races (or at least where they feel comfortable), and age groups financial situations. I enjoy churches where the sermon is preached in a way that everyone can relate. From age 14 to 80. Today, I saw and experienced all those things. I have at other places too, but feel a connection there because of family history. I plan to attend there a few more times in my new church home search.

After church I took my daughter to The MLK Center. I visited this place often as a child after church. I still remember my grandmother, mother and sister talking about what a great man Dr. King was and why this place was built for people to visit his tomb. While at the King Center I told my daughter about MLK. I asked her what she remembered about him, she learned about him in school for his birthday. I told her about how important he was and explained it in her terms. We went to the buildings. We looked at pictures and I read her what many of them said. There was a kid section in one that she was able to read some of the stuff herself, with a little help.

I really enjoyed my time today on Auburn Avenue. I have to admit it took me back to when I was child. It was really fun to be able to share places I’ve been as a kid and history with my daughter. Even though she is 5, I think she understood. She asked questions and looked intensely at the pictures.

I could not help but feel amazed at the fight that Dr. King and those who participated in the Civil Rights movement put up. I can not help but think of what issues in the world today am I willing to do what they did and went through for. I came up with a few and I’m going to start working towards fighting for them.

If it was not for their generation, mine and my daughters, would not have the freedom and rights we have today. I want to make sure my daughters and future generation does not have to fight injustices either. Sadly there is still racial discrimination and defiantly economic injustice. I know I may sound very fairytale right now but I’m serious. I feel lazy, stupid and unworthy having had so much done for my generation, while we sit back and just enjoy!

Comments

sounds like u had a great time.and u write well. Im just driving by. and nice blog? do chk me out sometimes and if ulike what u read, please do blog roll me and i will be back...and i have a book release party on April 24 from 7 to 10 at the MBar on Peters street, do accept my invite if u can make it
Alisa said…
That's a great church, I have some friends that go there still plus I visited several times!

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding Industry

Today while chatting with my girls we began discussing the wedding industry. The hoopla and money associate with a wedding. During this conversation I stated that how happy I am I didn’t stick with the original budget we had for our wedding. How I would be mad if I had spent that much now that I am married. Some times I feel like I am anti-weddings. It might be from being on The Knot (TK) since this past July. Or seeing couples, especially the women, put so much work, time and focus into their wedding and its over in a snap! Some spend a year or more planning their wedding. Researching, looking, buying and stressing over every detail of it and the day is over before you know it. I am NOT saying don’t do what YOU want, but do NOT get caught up in the hype! I mean seriously, would you put this much time in planning a party? A get together? A retirement party? Nope... so why your wedding? It's technically a party. It is a celebration of your union. Definition of wedding (1) a marriage

Inappropriate Questions

I am the queen of asking questions. I ask because I rather ask than assume, but I try not to ask inappropriate questions. If only others would do so too! Here are some I get and/or hear. “What grade are you in?” Um stupid motherf’er I am GROWN! Notice the diamonds on my left hand and my wedding band. The nice business casual clothes! This is a question I get atleast once a month from some random stupid person that don’t know me and they usually get a rude response. I mean if you are observant enough to look at me and think I’m that young you need to really be observant! And I’m a sistah, yes with a H! Yall know black don’t crack! “When are you due?” This one always makes me laugh when someone ask a woman who has a muffin top stomach and is NOT pregnant! I know it’s funny to me since I don’t get that question, but still how ignorant is that! “When are you having kids?” Um lets see, never! Why are you all in our sex life? I mean really! I am going to start saying, “We

The New Yorker Cover

I was not going to address the New Yorker’s broadly publicized cover, but since it’s all over the place I will! It portrays Democratic presidential candidate, Barack Obama, in a Muslim outfit and his wife, Michelle Obama, in a militant outfit. When I first say the cover on theybf I was very upset. I understand freedom of speech but wow! It seemed like a blatant attack on Obama’s campaign to me! I was appalled at how they put it up, on the cover of all places. Then to have the audacity to call it satire! I know it was sarcasm, but just like some jokes, it did not come across well. Atleast to me! I spent some of time on Monday and Tuesday reading responses and explanations to the cover. I was not as upset after reading some of them. Others made me want to scream. Tuesday, Obama was on Larry King Live. I really enjoyed this interview. At the beginning Larry King asked Obama what he made of the cover. His response: “Well, I know it was the "New Yorker's" attempt at satire. I