Skip to main content

Dr. King in 2008

Today was the 40th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s assassination. It is a blessing that we were allowed to have a wonderful and powerful man like this on Earth. Though it is so sad that his time here was so short. After watching several specials on Dr. King, I began to wonder how much has America, race relations and economic relations changed over the last 40 years. I looked at several articles about this online today. It seems like this is a question many are asking.

A quote for Dr. King is on my mind today. It is a quote from his last Sunday sermon at Washington National Cathedral in 1968. "There is nothing new about poverty. What is new is that we now have the means and the know-how to lift every child out of poverty. The real question is whether we have the will!"

It is amazing how this statement is still 100% true today. How much has changed? How much has not? I personally didn’t realize the large differences in economic class until Hurrican Katrina. I grew up in middle class and never really thought about what was below what I knew. Of course I saw upper and lower class on tv, around town and so on, but was not fully aware of the differences. How they lived.

I had seen race issues discussed at school, on tv, church and at functions all my life. We all learn about slavery, the civil rights movement, affirmative action and the women’s rights movement. Though I don’t remember learning about economic issues.

2008 also marks the 40th anniversary of the Poor People's Campaign. Dr King and the Southern Leadership Conference organized the Poor People's Campaign in 1968 to address issues economic justice. It challenged our nation to end the poverty afflicting millions of Americans of all races and to confront the triple evils of racism, excessive materialism (poverty) and militarism that threaten our nation and world.

Currently in America, there are 36.5 million Americans still living in poverty, including nearly 13 million children. There are 47 million people in America who have no health coverage, and 9.4 million of those are children.

In 2001, a black boy born had a 1 in 3 chance of going to prison in his lifetime and a Latino boy a 1 in 6 chnace. 87 percent of black, 83 percent of Latino and 58 percent of white 4th graders cannot read at grade level.

580,000 black males are serving sentences in state and federal prisons, while fewer than 40,000 males earn Bachelor’s degrees each year.

We must take celebrate and follow Dr. King. Follow him and be A disturber all unjust peace. Hear his warnings about the need for reordering the misguided values and priorities he believed to be the seeds of America’s downfall. Be an opponent of violence. Call with him for massive nonviolent civil disobedience to challenge the stockpiling of weapons of death and the was they fuel. Hear his warnings that excessive materialism of the greedy deprives the needy of the basic necessities in life. Build the new nation and world Dr. King called for! Live in his greatness. Continue to grow and to never lose hope, like him. Do not give into fear, uncertainty and despair, like him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding Industry

Today while chatting with my girls we began discussing the wedding industry. The hoopla and money associate with a wedding. During this conversation I stated that how happy I am I didn’t stick with the original budget we had for our wedding. How I would be mad if I had spent that much now that I am married. Some times I feel like I am anti-weddings. It might be from being on The Knot (TK) since this past July. Or seeing couples, especially the women, put so much work, time and focus into their wedding and its over in a snap! Some spend a year or more planning their wedding. Researching, looking, buying and stressing over every detail of it and the day is over before you know it. I am NOT saying don’t do what YOU want, but do NOT get caught up in the hype! I mean seriously, would you put this much time in planning a party? A get together? A retirement party? Nope... so why your wedding? It's technically a party. It is a celebration of your union. Definition of wedding (1) a marriage

Inappropriate Questions

I am the queen of asking questions. I ask because I rather ask than assume, but I try not to ask inappropriate questions. If only others would do so too! Here are some I get and/or hear. “What grade are you in?” Um stupid motherf’er I am GROWN! Notice the diamonds on my left hand and my wedding band. The nice business casual clothes! This is a question I get atleast once a month from some random stupid person that don’t know me and they usually get a rude response. I mean if you are observant enough to look at me and think I’m that young you need to really be observant! And I’m a sistah, yes with a H! Yall know black don’t crack! “When are you due?” This one always makes me laugh when someone ask a woman who has a muffin top stomach and is NOT pregnant! I know it’s funny to me since I don’t get that question, but still how ignorant is that! “When are you having kids?” Um lets see, never! Why are you all in our sex life? I mean really! I am going to start saying, “We

The New Yorker Cover

I was not going to address the New Yorker’s broadly publicized cover, but since it’s all over the place I will! It portrays Democratic presidential candidate, Barack Obama, in a Muslim outfit and his wife, Michelle Obama, in a militant outfit. When I first say the cover on theybf I was very upset. I understand freedom of speech but wow! It seemed like a blatant attack on Obama’s campaign to me! I was appalled at how they put it up, on the cover of all places. Then to have the audacity to call it satire! I know it was sarcasm, but just like some jokes, it did not come across well. Atleast to me! I spent some of time on Monday and Tuesday reading responses and explanations to the cover. I was not as upset after reading some of them. Others made me want to scream. Tuesday, Obama was on Larry King Live. I really enjoyed this interview. At the beginning Larry King asked Obama what he made of the cover. His response: “Well, I know it was the "New Yorker's" attempt at satire. I