Skip to main content

Self expectations

The last few weeks I have had a certain conversation with quite a few friends. These conversations were not all at once or planned. I realized today that their concerns and views are the same of many, including me.

We find ourselves feeling like we are not where WE think we should be in life or “by now”. I realize that this idea that we are keeping is like a weed in our lovely manicured laws. Who says what any of us should be doing or “at” in life at 21, 26, 32, 37, 40 and 45?

One of the friends I had this conversation with is 26 just like me. She graduated from college in 2004. She stated to me how she felt she should be further in to her career and on her way to being engaged by now. She said she felt unsuccessful because she didn’t have what she thought she would at this age. She feels she made some wrong choices in her career and previous relationships.

After to talking to her I thought about all the self-expectations we have for ourselves. From degrees to our careers to our family to our love life to our financial situations. I wondered where do we get these expectations from. And how much are we working to fulfill of our expectations. Are we realistic about how long it takes to accomplish them. Are we taking the right and positive path to accomplish them.

I seems that a lot of our expectations come from our environment. Go to school graduate, go to college, graduate, get a job, get married, buy a house and have babies. Though this is not the path or desire of all. Sometimes I think we all feel the pressure to fulfill one or all of these. We all have to learn and push to fulfill what we want and not what outside forces tell us we want.

I can not help but bring up my belief that thing happen for a reason. I believe that God sends us on a path HE sees fit for us. Many times this is not our planned path but it is where and what we are meant to be and do. We can not control every aspect of our lives. Sometimes we get so focused on accomplishing these many goals and dreams we forget or don’t even try to enjoy the ride. Before you know it you’ve looked up and life has passed you by.

Also we have to be thankful for where we currently are. I have to say that I personally had a struggle with this the last year or so. I was so unhappy with where I was career wise I did not see how much success I actually had. I am blessed, but was too busy trying to accomplish A, B and C to truly thank God for what I already had. I did the normal thank you prayer, but I did not fully realize how blessed I was.

I lost myself trying to obtain success. I read somewhere that prosperity and success test of character. We have to remember what we came from. How we got where we are and remember that. I’m sure there are plenty of very successful people who lost their soul as they gained their success.

Even though we may not be where we want we are blessed. Other people came from where we came from (and worse than that) and have worked harder than we have and don’t have as much as we do. Some have worked just as hard and have gotten more than we have. That’s how life is, we should not second guess ourselves too much. It takes time and hard work to get where we are meant to be. Notice I said meant to be and not want to be!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree we should be thankful for all the blessings in our lives, no matter what stage. And I agree that we (society) do get caught up in our "self-expectations," like how many degrees we should have by a certain time or at what age we should be married. However, I think as we get older we should progress mentally -- meaning if at age 25 you're mind is still in the same place it was at 18, something is wrong and you need to step it up.

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding Industry

Today while chatting with my girls we began discussing the wedding industry. The hoopla and money associate with a wedding. During this conversation I stated that how happy I am I didn’t stick with the original budget we had for our wedding. How I would be mad if I had spent that much now that I am married. Some times I feel like I am anti-weddings. It might be from being on The Knot (TK) since this past July. Or seeing couples, especially the women, put so much work, time and focus into their wedding and its over in a snap! Some spend a year or more planning their wedding. Researching, looking, buying and stressing over every detail of it and the day is over before you know it. I am NOT saying don’t do what YOU want, but do NOT get caught up in the hype! I mean seriously, would you put this much time in planning a party? A get together? A retirement party? Nope... so why your wedding? It's technically a party. It is a celebration of your union. Definition of wedding (1) a marriage

Inappropriate Questions

I am the queen of asking questions. I ask because I rather ask than assume, but I try not to ask inappropriate questions. If only others would do so too! Here are some I get and/or hear. “What grade are you in?” Um stupid motherf’er I am GROWN! Notice the diamonds on my left hand and my wedding band. The nice business casual clothes! This is a question I get atleast once a month from some random stupid person that don’t know me and they usually get a rude response. I mean if you are observant enough to look at me and think I’m that young you need to really be observant! And I’m a sistah, yes with a H! Yall know black don’t crack! “When are you due?” This one always makes me laugh when someone ask a woman who has a muffin top stomach and is NOT pregnant! I know it’s funny to me since I don’t get that question, but still how ignorant is that! “When are you having kids?” Um lets see, never! Why are you all in our sex life? I mean really! I am going to start saying, “We

The New Yorker Cover

I was not going to address the New Yorker’s broadly publicized cover, but since it’s all over the place I will! It portrays Democratic presidential candidate, Barack Obama, in a Muslim outfit and his wife, Michelle Obama, in a militant outfit. When I first say the cover on theybf I was very upset. I understand freedom of speech but wow! It seemed like a blatant attack on Obama’s campaign to me! I was appalled at how they put it up, on the cover of all places. Then to have the audacity to call it satire! I know it was sarcasm, but just like some jokes, it did not come across well. Atleast to me! I spent some of time on Monday and Tuesday reading responses and explanations to the cover. I was not as upset after reading some of them. Others made me want to scream. Tuesday, Obama was on Larry King Live. I really enjoyed this interview. At the beginning Larry King asked Obama what he made of the cover. His response: “Well, I know it was the "New Yorker's" attempt at satire. I