Skip to main content

Wedding Blog 2

Sept 16, 2007 ~ "My eyes are on the prize"

Why when you look at a wedding, it seems so simple? I guess it's like the skyscrapers downtown, many days and many people went into building it, but you only see the end result when you drive past.

As a result of moving my wedding date WAY up, I am in a mad dash for the details of it all! I have gotten many opions on this subject which is what got me thinking about all of this.
I am trying to enjoy this wedding process, but I'm realizing more everyday that it is about me and my love sharing a very important moment in our lives with the ones we love. Do I care about certain traditional elements being involved... HELL NO! Do I feel I have to hand write every address on every envelope of my invitations...Double Hell No! Do I care about the man I am going to spend the rest of my life with standing next to me as we declare our love for each other.... Super Dupper Yes!

I guess I just don't understand the level of extremes involved in a "traditional" wedding! From the engagement announcements, engagement pictures, save the dates, to choosing the "right" invitations, to chapel veils and dyeable shoes! It just seems quite a bit commercialized to me! I understand wanting something lovely and nice for ALL to be at but sometimes I'm not sure how much love is involved compared to the money spent!! I don't want to be Betty Downer but really, does it take $25,000 to start your life with someone you love?

Or are we choosing to hand over check after check and watch our credit cards get slid over and over to have this one "perfect" day? Then spend years paying it off. Even today while getting alterations done on THE dress, I over heard THIS conversation between a bride and her mother. Suprisingly it was the daughter trying to downsize and the mother wanting everything no matter the price! She said that she felt she paid for the quality of their day by the amount she paid! As the daughter tried to explain their budget and the reason she made her choices, I couldn't help but think...

Of all the people that have asked me (mostly women) where my dress was from and how much I paid. Where our invitations are from and what format. What venue we had booked and how many guest. What cut was my engagement ring and how many carats. To even what wedding band I've choosen and why. But rarely and I mean RARELY do I get the question how long have you been with him, what makes you know he's the One, and what are yall goals together! Isn't that the most important thing!!! And before you think the last question is too personal, who says none of the previous ones aren't!

The result of all this has made me even happier with my decision to reduce my wedding guest list and wedding size to focus on the PRIZE. To each is own and I'm not knocking anyone who decides to do it BIG, but it's not for me or my wallet! I have a few friends who said if they could do it over they would not have done it big or atleast not so big themselves. So good luck to you with your planning! I'm on my home stretch... 3 weeks from today... Thank God!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding Industry

Today while chatting with my girls we began discussing the wedding industry. The hoopla and money associate with a wedding. During this conversation I stated that how happy I am I didn’t stick with the original budget we had for our wedding. How I would be mad if I had spent that much now that I am married. Some times I feel like I am anti-weddings. It might be from being on The Knot (TK) since this past July. Or seeing couples, especially the women, put so much work, time and focus into their wedding and its over in a snap! Some spend a year or more planning their wedding. Researching, looking, buying and stressing over every detail of it and the day is over before you know it. I am NOT saying don’t do what YOU want, but do NOT get caught up in the hype! I mean seriously, would you put this much time in planning a party? A get together? A retirement party? Nope... so why your wedding? It's technically a party. It is a celebration of your union. Definition of wedding (1) a marriage

Inappropriate Questions

I am the queen of asking questions. I ask because I rather ask than assume, but I try not to ask inappropriate questions. If only others would do so too! Here are some I get and/or hear. “What grade are you in?” Um stupid motherf’er I am GROWN! Notice the diamonds on my left hand and my wedding band. The nice business casual clothes! This is a question I get atleast once a month from some random stupid person that don’t know me and they usually get a rude response. I mean if you are observant enough to look at me and think I’m that young you need to really be observant! And I’m a sistah, yes with a H! Yall know black don’t crack! “When are you due?” This one always makes me laugh when someone ask a woman who has a muffin top stomach and is NOT pregnant! I know it’s funny to me since I don’t get that question, but still how ignorant is that! “When are you having kids?” Um lets see, never! Why are you all in our sex life? I mean really! I am going to start saying, “We

The New Yorker Cover

I was not going to address the New Yorker’s broadly publicized cover, but since it’s all over the place I will! It portrays Democratic presidential candidate, Barack Obama, in a Muslim outfit and his wife, Michelle Obama, in a militant outfit. When I first say the cover on theybf I was very upset. I understand freedom of speech but wow! It seemed like a blatant attack on Obama’s campaign to me! I was appalled at how they put it up, on the cover of all places. Then to have the audacity to call it satire! I know it was sarcasm, but just like some jokes, it did not come across well. Atleast to me! I spent some of time on Monday and Tuesday reading responses and explanations to the cover. I was not as upset after reading some of them. Others made me want to scream. Tuesday, Obama was on Larry King Live. I really enjoyed this interview. At the beginning Larry King asked Obama what he made of the cover. His response: “Well, I know it was the "New Yorker's" attempt at satire. I