Skip to main content

Where's the line?

Where's the line between honest and rude?
Where's the line between opinionated and not entertaining anyone elses opinion?
Where's the line between unique and odd?
Where's the line between open-minded and not having a opinion?
Where's the line between not enough and too much?

Several events over the last week caused me to wonder the about question. I know that every person is different and will do things their own way. But when is excusing your actions, especially when they are rude or uncalled for ok as long as those actions are caused by 'your personality' traits. I will give examples to help you understand.

If I ask you a question and you answer with an attitude and harsh words. No matter if it agrees with me or not, does that give you the right be rude? Yes, you are being honest but you could be nice about it or even considerate of the others feelings. Yes, you are grown and so am I. So does that mean you can not try to be a littel PC?

If you are out somewhere and were upset by the customer service you are receiving, is it ok for you to be rude to that employee? Is it ok for you to be rude to another employee there that you haven't come in contact with? What if you were there with a few other people and they do not think the employee is being rude? What if you were talking to the employee like they were less than you, would they be justified in being rude to you?

If you and your friends were having lunch. You all are discussing current events, celebs and ect. Everyone is discussing what they think and how they feel about each topic. Though when you voice your opinion you talk about everyone elses like their's are inferior. No one said your opinion was wrong or right. No one even discussed any of them being right or wrong. Are you wrong for feeling their opinions are wrong? Are you wrong for telling you think their opinions are wrong? If these are your friends why do you feel the need to put them down? If one of the friends pointed out what you were doing and the others agreed it was rude, would you be offended? Would saying that being honest is you personality make the situation right? Would that statement fix things? Are your friends wrong for feeling offended?

If you and a group of friends were out and you began acting a fool in a public place. Cussing, yelling and so on because you were upset because owner would not comply to what you wanted. Are you acting ignorant? If your friends tell you to calm down, are they wrong? Does stating that you are dramatic person make your behavior acceptable? Are you friend's wrong for being embarrased? Are they wrong for not having your back? What if they think you are wrong, should they take your side? What if one agrees with your point of view but thinks you are handling the situation wrong, so she doesn't help. Is she wrong?

What if you are in a relationship, but agree to let your significant other do something 'non-traditional'. Is it ok since you are an open-minded person?

I know people with many personality triats, but have noticed how some people use these traits as an excuse to be rude, mean, ignorant and to act blind to certain things and people. It realy bothers me because I feel that what you do to others will happen to you! Karma is a B!tch! Also I feel that you know you are wrong for what you are doing when you are quick to point out "that's just me" when you do something out of line. I do not think it is ok to do or justify things that are wrong no mater, especially when you use your personality as an excuse!

If I hear " You know I am dramatic" one more time from a certain friend I am going to scream. I love this friend, but honestly I am starting to feel like I am the being a bigger person in our friendship. I am going to try to talk to her about my feelings. I know that she won't change because of me, but I want her to understand the effects of her actions and words on me, our other friends and in general. Honestly I was very close to writting her off, have been a few times.

I decided after thinking about it that she needs a friend. She needs friends who will tell her when she's wrong and when she'd doing right. I know that she doesn't get that from us because we look the other way. We have been sitting back and accepting her actions, even when they were wrong. I have spoken to her before on her actions, in a career sense. She listened and improved for a while, but reverted back. I am concerned that she will either not be receptive or will do the same change, then back to normal thing again. Either way I feel as her friend it is my job to speak up and say something.

At one time in my life I was a work in progress. I know my family and friends had to be very patient with me. I know that I embarressed them and came out my mouth wrong. I changed thank God, because of their comments, prayers and help. I truely hope that she will be as receptive as I was. It took me some time, so she will need that too. As long as she is recptive I will be by her side. In addition to being receptive I hope she is willing to try and become a better person and friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding Industry

Today while chatting with my girls we began discussing the wedding industry. The hoopla and money associate with a wedding. During this conversation I stated that how happy I am I didn’t stick with the original budget we had for our wedding. How I would be mad if I had spent that much now that I am married. Some times I feel like I am anti-weddings. It might be from being on The Knot (TK) since this past July. Or seeing couples, especially the women, put so much work, time and focus into their wedding and its over in a snap! Some spend a year or more planning their wedding. Researching, looking, buying and stressing over every detail of it and the day is over before you know it. I am NOT saying don’t do what YOU want, but do NOT get caught up in the hype! I mean seriously, would you put this much time in planning a party? A get together? A retirement party? Nope... so why your wedding? It's technically a party. It is a celebration of your union. Definition of wedding (1) a marriage

Inappropriate Questions

I am the queen of asking questions. I ask because I rather ask than assume, but I try not to ask inappropriate questions. If only others would do so too! Here are some I get and/or hear. “What grade are you in?” Um stupid motherf’er I am GROWN! Notice the diamonds on my left hand and my wedding band. The nice business casual clothes! This is a question I get atleast once a month from some random stupid person that don’t know me and they usually get a rude response. I mean if you are observant enough to look at me and think I’m that young you need to really be observant! And I’m a sistah, yes with a H! Yall know black don’t crack! “When are you due?” This one always makes me laugh when someone ask a woman who has a muffin top stomach and is NOT pregnant! I know it’s funny to me since I don’t get that question, but still how ignorant is that! “When are you having kids?” Um lets see, never! Why are you all in our sex life? I mean really! I am going to start saying, “We

The New Yorker Cover

I was not going to address the New Yorker’s broadly publicized cover, but since it’s all over the place I will! It portrays Democratic presidential candidate, Barack Obama, in a Muslim outfit and his wife, Michelle Obama, in a militant outfit. When I first say the cover on theybf I was very upset. I understand freedom of speech but wow! It seemed like a blatant attack on Obama’s campaign to me! I was appalled at how they put it up, on the cover of all places. Then to have the audacity to call it satire! I know it was sarcasm, but just like some jokes, it did not come across well. Atleast to me! I spent some of time on Monday and Tuesday reading responses and explanations to the cover. I was not as upset after reading some of them. Others made me want to scream. Tuesday, Obama was on Larry King Live. I really enjoyed this interview. At the beginning Larry King asked Obama what he made of the cover. His response: “Well, I know it was the "New Yorker's" attempt at satire. I