Skip to main content

Dr. Martin Luther King Day



Today is MLK day, it celebrates the birth of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. His birthday is actually January 15th, 1929. It is observed every third Monday of January. It is one of four United States federal holidays to commemorate an individual person.

Dr. King is known for was the chief spokesman of the nonviolent civil rights movement, which successfully protested racial discrimination in federal and state law. King's nonviolent doctrine was strongly influenced by the teachings of Indian leader Mohandas Gandhi. In 1964, King became the first black American to be honored as Time magazine's Man of the Year. His efforts were not limited to securing civil rights; he also spoke out against poverty and the Vietnam War.

Other milestones:

1954 Selected as pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama
1955 Received his Ph.D. in systematic theology from Boston University
1955-1956 Led a successful effort to desegregate Montgomery, Alabama, buses
1957 Helped found and served as the first president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)
1958 Published Stride Toward Freedom: The Montgomery Story
1963 Wrote 'Letter from Birmingham Jail,' arguing that it was his moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws
1963 Delivered his 'I Have a Dream' speech to civil rights marchers at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.
1964 Won the Nobel Peace Prize
1965 Organized a mass march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, that created national support for federal voting-rights legislation
1968 Was assassinated at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee

The campaign for a federal holiday in King's honor began shortly after his assassination on April 4, 1968. President Ronald Reagan signed the holiday into law in 1983, and it was first observed in 1986. At first, some states resisted observing the holiday as such, giving it alternative names or combining it with other holidays. It was officially observed in all 50 states for the first time in 2000.

It has been 45 years since King stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and gave his "I Have A Dream" speech. More than 200,000 people were present. This speech has been said to have inspired a generation and changed the course of history. Dr. King's words raised the nation's awareness of the civil rights movement and helped him become the youngest person ever awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Before his life was cut short the United States government passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as well as the the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Dr. King gave speeches and wrote letters that were and continue to be, powerful. Here are some quotes:

"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important."
Wall Street Journal quote November 13, 1962.

"If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
Speech in Detroit, Michigan on June 23, 1963.

"A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approachin gspiritual death."

"Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against love."

"Many of the ugly pages of American history have been obscured and forgotten....America owes a debt of justice which it has only begun to pay. If it loses the will to finish or slackens in its determination, history will recall its crimes and the country that would be great will lack the most indispensable element of greatness--justice."

All 3 quotes above are from the speech: Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community? 1967

I watched several specials about Dr. King today. I am going to leave you with two questions I have heard several times.

"Is his dream alive?" "How will you keep his dream alive?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding Industry

Today while chatting with my girls we began discussing the wedding industry. The hoopla and money associate with a wedding. During this conversation I stated that how happy I am I didn’t stick with the original budget we had for our wedding. How I would be mad if I had spent that much now that I am married. Some times I feel like I am anti-weddings. It might be from being on The Knot (TK) since this past July. Or seeing couples, especially the women, put so much work, time and focus into their wedding and its over in a snap! Some spend a year or more planning their wedding. Researching, looking, buying and stressing over every detail of it and the day is over before you know it. I am NOT saying don’t do what YOU want, but do NOT get caught up in the hype! I mean seriously, would you put this much time in planning a party? A get together? A retirement party? Nope... so why your wedding? It's technically a party. It is a celebration of your union. Definition of wedding (1) a marriage

Inappropriate Questions

I am the queen of asking questions. I ask because I rather ask than assume, but I try not to ask inappropriate questions. If only others would do so too! Here are some I get and/or hear. “What grade are you in?” Um stupid motherf’er I am GROWN! Notice the diamonds on my left hand and my wedding band. The nice business casual clothes! This is a question I get atleast once a month from some random stupid person that don’t know me and they usually get a rude response. I mean if you are observant enough to look at me and think I’m that young you need to really be observant! And I’m a sistah, yes with a H! Yall know black don’t crack! “When are you due?” This one always makes me laugh when someone ask a woman who has a muffin top stomach and is NOT pregnant! I know it’s funny to me since I don’t get that question, but still how ignorant is that! “When are you having kids?” Um lets see, never! Why are you all in our sex life? I mean really! I am going to start saying, “We

The New Yorker Cover

I was not going to address the New Yorker’s broadly publicized cover, but since it’s all over the place I will! It portrays Democratic presidential candidate, Barack Obama, in a Muslim outfit and his wife, Michelle Obama, in a militant outfit. When I first say the cover on theybf I was very upset. I understand freedom of speech but wow! It seemed like a blatant attack on Obama’s campaign to me! I was appalled at how they put it up, on the cover of all places. Then to have the audacity to call it satire! I know it was sarcasm, but just like some jokes, it did not come across well. Atleast to me! I spent some of time on Monday and Tuesday reading responses and explanations to the cover. I was not as upset after reading some of them. Others made me want to scream. Tuesday, Obama was on Larry King Live. I really enjoyed this interview. At the beginning Larry King asked Obama what he made of the cover. His response: “Well, I know it was the "New Yorker's" attempt at satire. I