Skip to main content

Single In the City blog #1

As I previously stated I am doing a Single In the City blog on BAB.

I will copy them over here after they have been posted there a few days.

I will title them SITC then number them, depending on how long the title I might include them in the title on here. If it's long I'll just put it in the post! So here is the first one! Enjoy!

Single, Taken, Engaged, Married, Single Again

I was married on October 7th, 2007 in an intimate ceremony at The Stanley House, a beautiful Southern home in metro Atlanta.

Our wedding day was three months after we became engaged. I put a lot of work into planning our special day, but now that I look back I realize it was not that serious. Not because we are no longer together. Because of the stress and pressure I added on myself.

I am sure you are wondering why we are not together. Well, neither of us is perfect. R, the ex-husband, felt that some of the agreements we made before getting married were no longer acceptable. He is in the military, and that alone added stress to our marriage. Then he started changing his mind and making crazy demands. And then there’s just life in general, and we all know how crazy that can be.

Did we try counseling? Nope, he refused.
Did we pray? Yes.
Did we cry? Yes.
Did we try? Yes.
Did it work? No.

We separated in April.

In two years I went from single… to girlfriend… to wife… to single, again.

WOW I’m dizzy from typing all that.

I could be bitter. I could change my view on love and marriage. I could cut his behind! I could do a lot of things, but I’ve decided to move on. Call the whole situation a Lesson Learned (great track on Alicia Keys’ new album). I know that God put me in that situation for a reason and I will not shoulda coulda woulda this or anything else in my life.

Even though I am no longer a bride or newlywed I am proud to be on Brown and Bridal. I have learned how many women have been in my place and it has given me strength. I know that being a part of this community will help me continue to heal. I hope that my presence will help other brides as well.

Comments

could you email me. I didn't want write a whole story on your blog comment page. I am blacksred on theknot & bab. mslisagarrett@gmail.com
nevermind i sent you a message on bab

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding Industry

Today while chatting with my girls we began discussing the wedding industry. The hoopla and money associate with a wedding. During this conversation I stated that how happy I am I didn’t stick with the original budget we had for our wedding. How I would be mad if I had spent that much now that I am married. Some times I feel like I am anti-weddings. It might be from being on The Knot (TK) since this past July. Or seeing couples, especially the women, put so much work, time and focus into their wedding and its over in a snap! Some spend a year or more planning their wedding. Researching, looking, buying and stressing over every detail of it and the day is over before you know it. I am NOT saying don’t do what YOU want, but do NOT get caught up in the hype! I mean seriously, would you put this much time in planning a party? A get together? A retirement party? Nope... so why your wedding? It's technically a party. It is a celebration of your union. Definition of wedding (1) a marriage

Inappropriate Questions

I am the queen of asking questions. I ask because I rather ask than assume, but I try not to ask inappropriate questions. If only others would do so too! Here are some I get and/or hear. “What grade are you in?” Um stupid motherf’er I am GROWN! Notice the diamonds on my left hand and my wedding band. The nice business casual clothes! This is a question I get atleast once a month from some random stupid person that don’t know me and they usually get a rude response. I mean if you are observant enough to look at me and think I’m that young you need to really be observant! And I’m a sistah, yes with a H! Yall know black don’t crack! “When are you due?” This one always makes me laugh when someone ask a woman who has a muffin top stomach and is NOT pregnant! I know it’s funny to me since I don’t get that question, but still how ignorant is that! “When are you having kids?” Um lets see, never! Why are you all in our sex life? I mean really! I am going to start saying, “We

The New Yorker Cover

I was not going to address the New Yorker’s broadly publicized cover, but since it’s all over the place I will! It portrays Democratic presidential candidate, Barack Obama, in a Muslim outfit and his wife, Michelle Obama, in a militant outfit. When I first say the cover on theybf I was very upset. I understand freedom of speech but wow! It seemed like a blatant attack on Obama’s campaign to me! I was appalled at how they put it up, on the cover of all places. Then to have the audacity to call it satire! I know it was sarcasm, but just like some jokes, it did not come across well. Atleast to me! I spent some of time on Monday and Tuesday reading responses and explanations to the cover. I was not as upset after reading some of them. Others made me want to scream. Tuesday, Obama was on Larry King Live. I really enjoyed this interview. At the beginning Larry King asked Obama what he made of the cover. His response: “Well, I know it was the "New Yorker's" attempt at satire. I